15th Annual Symposium of the Social History of Military Technology

Who are we? Forums Find your panelists 15th Annual Symposium of the Social History of Military Technology

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Bart Hacker

CALL FOR PAPERS
    15th Annual Symposium of the Social History of Military Technology
    International Committee for the History of Technology
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 13–18 July 2020

We seek proposals for papers to be presented in the 15th Annual Symposium of the Social History of Military Technology (15SSHMT), scheduled as part of the program for the International Committee for the History of Technology (ICOHTEC), meeting at Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 13–18 July 2020. ICOHTEC has selected the general theme of A History of Technology for an Age of Crisis. In submitting a proposal for 15SSHMT, you are encouraged, but not required, to address the ICOHTEC theme and subthemes. General information about lodging, transportation, travel grants, and other matters will be posted on the conference website: http://www.icohtec.org/w-annual-meeting/eindhoven-2020/
    The Symposium of the Social History of Military Technology, a regular part of the ICOHTEC annual meeting since 2005, strives to move beyond the narrow material focus that the history of military technology often assumes among fans, antiquarians, and many historians. As commonly practiced, the history of military technology centers on weaponry, warships, fortifications, or other physical manifestations of warfare, stressing their making, workings, or usage. Historians have also tended to assume a strictly utilitarian and rational basis for military technological invention and innovation. However necessary they may be, such approaches largely ignore some very important questions. What are the contexts of social values, attitudes, and interests, non-military as well as military, that shape and support (or oppose) these technologies? How do the social order and military technology reciprocally interact? Or, more generally: How do social and cultural environments within the military itself or in the larger society affect military technological change? And the indispensable corollary: How does changing military technology affect other aspects of society and culture? In brief, this symposium will address military technology as both agent and object of social change, taking a very broad view that encompasses not only the production, distribution, use, and replacement of weapons and weapon systems, but also communications, logistics, medicine, and other technologies of military relevance, as well as sciences of military interest.
    We seek papers about: (1) representations of weapons as well as weapons themselves, about ideas as well as hardware, about organization as well as materiel; (2) ways in which social class, race, gender, culture, economics, politics, or other extra-military factors have influenced and been influenced by the invention, R&D, diffusion, or use of weapons or other military technologies; (3) the roles that military technologies play in shaping and reshaping the relationships of soldiers to other soldiers; soldiers to military, political, and social institutions; and military institutions to other social institutions, most notably political and economic; and/or (4) historiographical or museological topics that discuss how military technology has been analyzed, interpreted, and understood in other fields, other cultures, and other times. Pre-modern and non-Western topics are particularly welcome.
    All proposals must be submitted in English. Although papers may be presented in English, French, German, Spanish, or Russian, ICOHTEC does not provide simultaneous translation. Proposals must include a short descriptive title of the paper, an abstract (maximum 300 words), and a short CV (maximum 1 page).
    (1) Abstracts are strictly limited to no more than 300 words. They should include a concise statement of the thesis, a brief discussion of the sources, and a summary of the major conclusions. Please do not include notes or bibliography.
    (2) Your CV must be no longer than 1 page, It should include your educational and professional employment histories, notice of significant publications and/or presentations. You may include other relevant information in the CV, as long as you do not exceed the 1-page limit. Be sure to include your name and email address, and to specify your present institutional affiliation (or independent status).
    Do not submit your paper proposal to ICOHTEC. Bart Hacker and Ciro Paoletti are organizing the symposium. Send your proposal to Bart Hacker at: <barthacker60@gmail.com>, or hackerb@si.edu no later than 2 January 2019, but earlier is better. Bart and Ciro will assemble and submit the complete symposium. Please feel free to distribute this CFP to anyone you believe may be interested and qualified.

#1737 Reply
    canada goose jacket

I and my pals came viewing the best suggestions found on your site while all of the sudden I had an awful feeling I had not expressed respect to the website owner for those secrets. These boys became for that reason passionate to read all of them and already have simply been enjoying those things. Appreciation for getting quite helpful and also for considering this sort of useful subject matter most people are really desirous to discover. My very own honest apologies for not saying thanks to you earlier.

#2304 Reply
    moncler

I happen to be commenting to make you know of the impressive discovery our girl obtained reading yuor web blog. She even learned so many pieces, most notably how it is like to possess a marvelous coaching spirit to get other people effortlessly comprehend several tricky subject areas. You really surpassed my expectations. Many thanks for churning out those warm and helpful, dependable, explanatory as well as easy guidance on that topic to Mary.

#2850 Reply
    balenciaga

Thanks for your own effort on this web page. My mother really likes working on research and it’s obvious why. All of us hear all about the powerful tactic you convey invaluable suggestions through the web site and even strongly encourage response from website visitors on that issue so our girl has been studying a great deal. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the year. You are always performing a remarkable job.

#3362 Reply
    goyard handbags

I intended to write you one very little note to finally say thank you as before considering the pleasing ideas you’ve shared on this site. This is so incredibly open-handed of people like you in giving freely all many of us might have distributed as an e book in order to make some money for their own end, notably considering the fact that you could possibly have done it in the event you considered necessary. The techniques additionally served like the easy way to be aware that other people have a similar keenness like my very own to know good deal more with reference to this issue. I’m sure there are lots of more pleasurable moments ahead for individuals that go through your blog.

#3910 Reply
    jordan 11

I intended to draft you this bit of observation so as to thank you very much again for the incredible information you have shared here. This is certainly incredibly open-handed of you to give unreservedly all that a few people could have offered for an ebook to help with making some money on their own, chiefly now that you could possibly have tried it if you considered necessary. The inspiring ideas as well served to become great way to fully grasp that some people have the same zeal really like my own to understand way more around this problem. I am sure there are lots of more enjoyable occasions in the future for individuals that view your blog.

#4452 Reply
    golden goose outlet

I intended to send you the little bit of observation to help say thanks over again with your amazing techniques you have featured on this page. This has been shockingly generous of people like you to supply freely all that numerous people could have sold for an e-book to make some cash for themselves, most notably now that you might have done it if you considered necessary. Those basics additionally acted to provide a fantastic way to fully grasp some people have a similar desire like my personal own to learn a whole lot more on the topic of this condition. I am certain there are a lot more pleasurable occasions up front for individuals who examine your blog post.

#5051 Reply
    birkin bag

My wife and i felt so joyful when Louis managed to finish up his inquiry out of the precious recommendations he had through the blog. It’s not at all simplistic just to find yourself giving out tactics that many other folks have been selling. And we acknowledge we now have you to thank for this. Most of the illustrations you have made, the easy website navigation, the relationships you will give support to instill – it’s got all unbelievable, and it’s facilitating our son and us imagine that that subject is entertaining, which is certainly extraordinarily essential. Thank you for the whole lot!

#5290 Reply
    off white nike

Thank you for all of the effort on this web page. Betty really likes managing investigations and it is easy to see why. A number of us learn all relating to the lively form you present invaluable tips by means of your website and even encourage response from some other people on that subject so our own princess is now understanding so much. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the new year. You are always performing a pretty cool job.

#5455 Reply
    supreme clothing

A lot of thanks for all of the work on this web page. My mum delights in getting into research and it’s easy to see why. Many of us know all concerning the lively manner you convey both useful and interesting tips via this blog and even foster response from people about this concern plus our own simple princess is certainly understanding a whole lot. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the new year. Your performing a splendid job.

#5486 Reply
    birkin bag

I intended to write you one bit of observation to be able to say thanks a lot again on the awesome tricks you’ve shared at this time. It was quite particularly generous with people like you to allow unreservedly precisely what some people could have sold as an e book to end up making some money for themselves, specifically seeing that you could have done it in the event you considered necessary. The tactics additionally served to be the fantastic way to fully grasp that some people have the same dream similar to my personal own to know a little more with regards to this condition. I believe there are several more enjoyable situations up front for individuals that read your blog.

#5727 Reply
    kevin durant shoes

My wife and i have been now ecstatic when Michael could finish off his research from your ideas he gained from your weblog. It’s not at all simplistic just to possibly be offering tips and hints which often some people could have been making money from. Therefore we see we now have you to be grateful to for this. The type of explanations you made, the easy web site navigation, the friendships you give support to create – it is mostly excellent, and it’s really making our son and the family believe that that article is exciting, and that is exceedingly fundamental. Thank you for all!

#6110 Reply
    supreme clothing

I must point out my appreciation for your kindness in support of visitors who should have help on this one study. Your real commitment to getting the message across appears to be quite insightful and has in most cases empowered professionals like me to get to their ambitions. Your useful useful information signifies this much to me and substantially more to my colleagues. Many thanks; from each one of us.

#6439 Reply
    lebron james shoes

Thank you for all of your efforts on this web site. My mother takes pleasure in carrying out investigation and it’s really easy to understand why. A lot of people know all concerning the compelling form you provide insightful thoughts on this blog and as well as increase contribution from others on that article while our own princess has been understanding a lot. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the year. You are conducting a stunning job.

#6919 Reply
    cheap jordans

I not to mention my buddies were reading the good thoughts found on your web blog then instantly I got an awful suspicion I never thanked the web site owner for those strategies. Those people are already so stimulated to read through all of them and have now in reality been making the most of them. Thank you for truly being considerably thoughtful and then for getting this form of exceptional subjects most people are really eager to understand about. My personal honest apologies for not expressing appreciation to earlier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: 15th Annual Symposium of the Social History of Military Technology
Your information: